Author Topic: Incline hikers coming down Barr Trail  (Read 5806 times)

windy902

Incline hikers coming down Barr Trail
« on: July 10, 2016, 07:25:22 PM »
I have done the ascent 3 times but this is my first time doing the marathon.  My question is, are there still a lot of incline hikers coming down Barr trail as the marathoners are also making their way down the day of the race?  I would imagine having the streets closed would minimize the traffic on Barr trail.  It should would be a pain to have to dodge around a lot of hikers as I race down. 

John Garner

Re: Incline hikers coming down Barr Trail
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 11:39:13 AM »
The Incline was closed during last year's race.

I remember seeing a brief blurb about it being closed during the race again this year, but can't seem to find it at the moment. I do know it will be closed from August 22 -> Dec 2nd for the 2nd phase of repairs this year. Odds are they will just bump the date up by a day again like they did during the last renovation.

Also, the streets are only closed during the start, they open again at 7:30 or so after the last runner leaves the start area. The PPM runners get a coned off section for the descent down into Manitou.

windy902

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 06:38:54 PM »
Great, thank you for the response!

Stephen Peterson

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 03:27:23 PM »
The Incline was only closed for the morning of the PPM...many runners coming back down in the afternoon encountered many on Barr Trail who were coming down off of the Incline.  Hopefully they'll close the Incline all day instead of just part of the day. 

Jasper

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 04:02:44 AM »
Not only were there Incline hikers, last year, as there will be this year, but they were/are again incentivized to be there by the Incline being closed for MONTHS, starting the day following the Marathon.

Still, at my pace at least, slightly under 9 hours, I wasn't much affected. I may have changed course slightly to go around a few, and some came around me, but there weren't a lot, and I was certainly not impeded. But it is best to know there will be some there.

John Garner

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 12:22:20 PM »
The incline will be closed during the race again this year, just like it was officially closed last year:

http://www.pikespeaksports.us/group/roadtrailrunning/forum/topics/incline-to-close-aug-20-21-for-61st-running-of-pikes-peak-ascent-

Last year, the incline was not closed for months afterwards, that was 2014.

In theory, any non-runners on the trail during the PPA/PPM are folks who hiked up along Barr Trail.

Stephen Peterson

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 10:41:44 AM »
John, the Incline was only closed in the morning last year for the PPM.  Many runners encountered people coming down Barr Trail from the Incline in the afternoon.  Hopefully it will remain closed all day...just too unsafe. 

John Garner

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 07:45:58 AM »
It was closed during the entire PPM, enforcement of that closure was a different issue.

Jasper

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 10:36:26 PM »
http://www.manitouincline.com/news/

As reported on the site above, in 2015 it was closed until 11am during the Ascent, and 2pm during the Marathon.
It was written on the page above that "Runners will still be coming down Barr Trail after 2 PM on Sunday but should be fairly spread out. While you’re returning on Barr Trail, please pay attention to runners coming up behind you and let them pass you."
And that's what happened. It wasn't closed, they were there, but not much of an issue.

This year, it was published first, for several weeks, that the Incline would close for Months, like 2014 (when I first did the Marathon, so thank you) on the Monday after the Race, and now have updated to that it will be closed during the race. Best to be prepared for unexpected hikers coming down Barr from the Incline.

Stephen Peterson

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 07:59:13 AM »
It definitely wasn't closed for the entire PPM.   I did read that it would re-open the afternoon of the PPM..and it did.   I ran into many people coming down Barr Trail off the Incline...and it was bad.   I never could understand why they would open the Incline while the race is still taking place.  Good decision this year to keep it closed.