Author Topic: Best Hydration Gear & Footwear  (Read 9962 times)

wildcatvet

Best Hydration Gear & Footwear
« on: February 03, 2015, 06:29:55 AM »
Hello all!  This will be my first Pikes Peak Ascent.  I'm trying to decide on gear for hydration.  Belt?  Hydration pack/Camelbak?  Handheld?  I appreciate the input!  My other question is whether regular running shoes are okay or if it's better to get trail shoes or some type of hiking/running crossover shoe.  Thanks in advance - looking forward to seeing you all on the trail!  :D

John Garner

Re: Best Hydration Gear & Footwear
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 12:24:20 PM »
Some of this comes down to personal preference.

I like being able to quickly refill my bottle at an aid station, and I don't like having the extra weight on my hips. Thus a handheld works best for me. For others, having a camelback to stash jackets and gu's seals the deal. Try both on your training runs to find the best thing for you.

In terms of shoes, I use regular road shoes. Other folks swear by trail shoes. I say that you should use what you train with.

bradg33

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 02:45:53 PM »
I've done the Ascent once ('12) and the Marathon twice ('13 and '14).  I wore road shoes for my first Ascent (Asics Noosa Tri 6s), no problems at all  (at least not beyond the normal, "WTF am I doing?"), finished in ~3:55.  For my first marathon, I got talked into buying minimalist trail shoes (I mentioned I wanted to be able to feel the trail better so I didn't fall on the downhill).  Enormous mistake.  I wasn't too bad at the summit, but on the downhill my feet hated me.  My legs were OK and I had energy, but my feet just couldn't take the constant pounding of the downhill and I had to walk a LOT more than I wanted to.  Last year, I wore Hoka One One Bondi3s.  I shaved nearly an hour off my marathon time because I was able to run most of the way down.

JasonL

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 07:02:48 PM »
Ran the Pikes Peak Marathon only once with minimalist shoes; the new balance minimus brand. It would have went fine if I didn't hit one sharp stone dead center in my heel, so I wouldn't wear thin shoes. I don't think spikes would work on the flat rocks or boulders very well. I guess for the dirt part of the trail some trail shoes would be good, for the big rocks basketball shoes would be good, and for the gravel anything thick is good.

I ran without carrying anything for water, but that's my norm. They had lots of fruit and candy available, so I ended up running with grapes in my hands and jelly beans in my pockets as I started to feel hungry and thirsty. I fell in love with the grapes, so I may have been pretty thirsty.

On the way up the aid stations may seem far apart, so carrying a bottle of water might be a good idea if your normally drinking alot during a marathon.

Hope that helps some :)

Tyler

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 11:49:01 AM »
Like others have said, I think this is a highly personal choice, but that you want to do your training with the same gear as you'll have on race day.

This year will be my 13th and 14th times on the mountain.  Each year I reduce my gear more and more.
This year will be simply normal running shorts and shoes.  A light shirt that I'll likely ditch 1/3 of the way in, if it's as hot as the last 2 years. 

On most years, I find the weather/sun borderline too hot.  I've permanently given up on wearing a hat.  I feel 20° warmer in this race than a low elevation run.
(That said, pack your suitcase with extra gear in the event of a blizzard; you'll know the morning of the race what to wear).

I carry a hand held water bottle simply to sip more frequently, but you could easily make it between aid stations with nothing.
I've run in road and trail shoes with no real difference.  Traction is rarely an issue, at least for a middle packer like me.
More important on the Marathon is something that fits well and won't impact your toes on the steep descent.

My personal favorite shoe is the Saucony Peregrine; low to the ground, good traction, snug fit, but room for toes to spread out and in case swelling is an issue.
Again, though, highly personal preference, and I think the correct answer is different for everyone.  I saw several people with no shoes last year.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:52:48 AM by Tyler »

wildcatvet

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 12:16:50 PM »
Thank you all for the advice!  I think I'll run in my regular training shoes (Asics Kayano) and will experiment a bit with hydration to see what's most comfortable.  See you all in August!  :)

FlyGirl

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 10:08:54 AM »
I've used both a handheld and a hydration vest.  Both have advantages and disadvantages, but I do like to wait and make my final decision on whatever the weather forecast is.  I second (third, fourth..whatever it is!) the suggestion of training with both, or all three.  See what suits you best.

As for shoes?  For the Ascent you should be fine with road shoes.  You certainly won't be alone.  If you ever decide to do the marathon, I'd suggest trail shoes then...for sure.  Coming down is a lot different than going up.

No matter what, have fun!