Author Topic: Anxious Relative (ok, ok, I'm somebody's mom!!!)  (Read 4218 times)

[email protected]

Anxious Relative (ok, ok, I'm somebody's mom!!!)
« on: August 12, 2015, 05:45:23 PM »
I am a mother of a Pikes Peak marathoner this year and I am VERY computer illiterate.  Is there anywhere that I can post a message for "my"  runner (i.e. will runners have access to the internet near the finish line, etc?).  Is there going to be live video of the marathon finish line on the Pikes Peak channel (just to increase my anxiety level, of course!)?  Has the marathon ever been shut down or postponed due to the weather? Thanks--Signed, Worried Old Lady

Mitch Walma

Re: Anxious Relative (ok, ok, I'm somebody's mom!!!)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 07:45:41 PM »
I don't know about the posting but the race has been shortened due to dangerous weather ie lightning.

John Garner

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 10:35:57 AM »
I am a mother of a Pikes Peak marathoner this year and I am VERY computer illiterate.  Is there anywhere that I can post a message for "my"  runner (i.e. will runners have access to the internet near the finish line, etc?).  Is there going to be live video of the marathon finish line on the Pikes Peak channel (just to increase my anxiety level, of course!)?  Has the marathon ever been shut down or postponed due to the weather? Thanks--Signed, Worried Old Lady

There is no way to send a message to your runner other than sending a text to their phone that they can read once they are done. Also, there is no live video feed of the race. Network connectivity is always hit or miss at the finish lines.

The Ascent was shut down early in 2008 due to lightning during the blizzard, but the marathon was run the next day with no issues. It has never been postponed due to weather. If the weather is that bad it will simply be cancelled.

You can follow along by watching the "almost live" results which will be posted at http://www.pprrun.org/rslts/2015_rslts/2015PPMInProgressResultsWithSplits.txt (the link for both races is also availabe on the results page at http://www.pikespeakmarathon.org/Results.shtml). We have timing mats at 4 locations along the course (9000ft, 10,000ft, 12,000ft and 14,000ft), so you can see them go up and then back down again as the race progresses.

I hope this helps.

--john

runmegood

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 03:30:48 PM »
Dear Worried Mom,

Safety is a high concern of officials and search/rescue folks along the course.  This will be my 3rd time doing it, and I'm a Mom myself... I understand completely.  They are watching the sky and the runners continuously.  Other runners also watch out for each other, your child (no matter the age) couldn't be around a better group of people.

The weather forecast looks good this year.  Feel free to check out the blogs concerning weather.  The timing mats are perfect for watching the progress "live results". 

;)  Breathe ...

Panorama seo

wealth management
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 08:09:41 AM »
Thanks for the nice blog. It was very useful for me. I'm happy I found this blog. Thank you for sharing with us,I too always learn something new from your post.  wealth management