Author Topic: Flatlander Training Through COVID  (Read 3301 times)

dnavarro927

Flatlander Training Through COVID
« on: March 24, 2020, 09:48:50 PM »
Well...This definitely puts a big hurdle for us flatlanders, especially the ones that don't have access to a treadmill for "hills".

Any ideas?  Here in the midwest the weather is all over the place.  Some days you can train outside, others, you can't.

epictetus

Re: Flatlander Training Through COVID
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 08:07:08 AM »
I'm in that boat, upper midwest, one day in 50s, next day snowing in 30s.  Having done PPA last year, I know the majority of the time during the event is a long fast hike, not running (something only the elite runners with access to mountains do).  So get out there and do long slow runs and long fast hikes.  Consider hiking with a weighted vest or backpack to simulate fatigue better.  Keep your aerobic threshold high, and just do the best you can!

dnavarro927

Re: Flatlander Training Through COVID
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 01:00:03 PM »
Thanks for the response.  Very helpful...  I'm glad you mentioned the weighted vest as that's what I was thinking to use when hiking and doing hill repeats.  I'm just outside of Chicago, so we have hills but none that are very long or steep.  I'd say the longest is probably 1/4 mile.  So can just up the pace on that...

Even before all this Corona stuff going on, my plan was to ramp up mileage via moderate paced running...working up to an "easy" feeling 16 miles.  Then adding general strength work (with high intensity) as well as hill work with added weight.

Mind sharing what some of your workouts were?