Author Topic: Trail Running Shoes  (Read 8920 times)

Justin Chaisson

Trail Running Shoes
« on: March 26, 2015, 09:38:58 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has some recommendations on trail running shoes for the Ascent. I understand that it is open to personal preference but I have typically used road running shoes even for trail races and this time I am leaning towards getting an actual shoe for trails. I want to know if there are any that are better or if there are some to steer clear of.
Thanks,

FlyGirl

Re: Trail Running Shoes
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 11:28:24 AM »
You'll actually be okay with road shoes for the Ascent, but if you want trail shoes it's not a bad idea.

Best thing is to visit the local running stores, have them evaluate your footstrike, and try the shoes and see what works best.  I, personally, like Inov8 shoes, but there are a lot of choices out there.

Justin Chaisson

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 03:58:03 PM »
Thanks FlyGirl.

I did exactly that. I was checking out 4 different shoes (Salomon Speedcross 3, Saucony Peregrine 5, New Balance 1210v2 and Brooks Cascadia). I typically use Brooks Glycerin's but as I said I am looking for a decent trail shoe for this race. Unfortunately I will have to run on pavement for some of my training and was told that the Salomon's would be toast well before the race, I didn't like the feel of the Brooks and the New Balance were okay but just not what I was looking for. I decided to go with the Saucony Xodus 5.0 ( the didn't have my size in the Peregrines anywhere), they had a good feel and after talking to the guy at the store they would be the best for a bit if pavement and trail combined. I ended up ordering them online so time will tell if they work out.

Jeff Valliere

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 06:51:16 AM »
A bit late to this, since you have already purchased a pair of shoes....  All great trail shoes that you listed (I have them all), but they are all a bit too heavy for the Ascent in my opinion, especially the Xodus 5.0, which is nearly 13oz depending on your shoe size.  There is hardly any pounding involved with the Ascent, so the cushion and protection that you would need is very minimal.  There are a lot of great shoes out there that would meet this criteria that are in the 9oz range, that would offer you enough traction and protection that you would feel comfortable with and still be able to use beyond the race.  I have found it advantageous to save weight for this race, regardless of time goals, every ounce adds up and it is also a great idea to have multiple pairs of shoes in the rotation for different applications and to minimize the risk of injury.  Just my .02.  Good luck!

Mark

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 09:20:35 PM »
Agree with Jeff, the lighter the shoe for the ascent the better... 60,000 steps times an ounce or two adds up fast. Just make sure the shoe has decent traction on gravel which exists on several sections of Barr trail. Also, I am not sure what to expect for trail conditions at the top this year. With as much snow as there still is, plus seemingly rain everyday, the last mile of the trail could be a torrent river race day...

Stephen Peterson

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 03:33:43 PM »
I absolutely love my Hoka Challenger ATRs on Barr Trail..very light and amazing traction.  It's one of the few Hoka shoes that I really like. 

Hoot

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 06:40:19 PM »
I'm planing on running in my my super light but nicely cushioned Hoka Cliftons (original) on the Ascent and my new Hoka Challenger ATRs on the Marathon.

Balan_58

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 03:28:20 AM »
I am planning to have Nike women air max for jogging. They looks really best and comfy. My sister is using them from last few months and very happy with them. Now I am planning to have them along with Carbon38 workout leggings for myself. Will order these shoes soon.

SylvesterGri

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 04:42:10 AM »
A bit late to this, since you have already purchased a pair of shoes....  All great legal steroids trail shoes that you listed (I have them all), but they are all a bit too heavy for the Ascent in my opinion, especially the Xodus 5.0, which is nearly 13oz depending on your shoe size.  There is hardly any pounding involved with the Ascent, so the cushion and protection that you would need is very minimal.  There are a lot of great shoes out there that would meet this criteria that are in the 9oz range, that would offer you enough traction and protection that you would feel comfortable with and still be able to use beyond the race.  I have found it advantageous to save weight for this race, regardless of time goals, every ounce adds up and it is also a great idea to have multiple pairs of shoes in the rotation for different applications and to minimize the risk of injury.  Just my .02.  Good luck!

It's not too late for me. I'll check the Xodus 5.0 out. Thanks for the suggestion.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 02:40:47 AM by SylvesterGri »

linda ava

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 09:21:19 AM »
I am planning to have Nike women air max for jogging. They looks really best and comfy. My sister is using them from last few months and very happy with them. Now I am planning to have them along with Carbon38 workout leggings for myself. Will order these shoes soon.
I just received my first pair of Carbon 38 leggings and Adidas shoes in black. I am in Carbon heaven! I had no idea these leggings and shoes would be so fabulous. I am 5'10" tall and 160 pounds. I bought a large one. They feel like a dream-on, so soft and extremely comfortable. I don't want to take them off they are that wonderful
The price is so definitely worth it. I own many pairs of leggings and shoes. None can even come close to the comfort of these. I will order again and again in other colors through Carbon38 Coupon Code. I am very excited and so pleased. Thank you, Carbon for making this writer overjoyed and happy.