Author Topic: Using "Spur Trail" to access Barr?  (Read 4573 times)

bradg33

Using "Spur Trail" to access Barr?
« on: June 29, 2015, 11:49:10 AM »
Going to be in Manitou this weekend en route to Red Rocks for a concert and plan to do a training run on Barr Trail.  Last time I was out there (other than during the PPM), there was a "new" gate across the access to the "spur trail" access to the Barr Trail (at the very top of Ruxton).  Two questions: (1) is the gate still there, and (2) legal issues aside, do people routinely just go around the gate and go about their run?

Yoni Fridman

Re: Using "Spur Trail" to access Barr?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 08:19:22 PM »
1) Yes, gate is still there.
2) I don't go around the gate. I know if you want to train by using the exact race course you'd have to take that spur, but I figure doing Barr from the trailhead is just as good for training. Having said that, I have seen people hop the gate and it's probably not a big deal.

bradg33

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 07:28:02 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I didn't know if it was like the Incline a few years ago when it was still marked "private property" but in a "wink wink, nod nod" kind of way.  Sounds like it may be something in-between. 

Mark

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 06:07:26 PM »
I use the race route every weekend on my training runs. I use the nice cold water out of Ruxton Creek to cool off on the way up and the way down. I've never had any problem with enforcement, anyone that sees you on the spur knows what you are doing. I'll be up there Sunday morning, say hi if you see me, I'm the old guy with the grey beard... 

FlyGirl

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 12:40:57 PM »
Being that it's private property (and clearly marked as such), I would prefer to not see or hear of anyone using it.  The gate is there for a reason, as are the road signs down below.  With as many issues as we've had with people cutting Barr, littering, doing stupid stuff and getting hurt on the Incline and Barr, why take the risk of ticking off the property owners?

Just do it from the trailhead on Hydro.  It's still quality training and doesn't really change anything in terms of the course.