Author Topic: No recent Ascent qualification times  (Read 2964 times)

Brian Holcomb

No recent Ascent qualification times
« on: December 22, 2018, 08:26:34 PM »
Due to career and family life, I haven't run many races the past 3 years, but I'm in just as good of running shape as I've ever been.  I can show two sub-3:24:00 marathons, most recent 2015 and about a half dozen sub-1:36:00 half marathons over the past decade.  I run Mt Falcon just west of Denver consistently in 30 to 32 minutes.  I've finished an Ironman triathlon in 12 hours.
 There's no question in my mind that I can run the Ascent and probably have a shot at the top 100 overall.  Please let me know my options.  I really would like to do it, but don't have the offical qual requirements.  Thank you

John Garner

Re: No recent Ascent qualification times
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 01:47:58 PM »
If you do not have any qualifying races since Jan 1st 2017, then you are in the same situation as I am: I have not run anything over 20k since my 2015 PPA/PPM double. (It is rather hard to run a race that I'm also timing).

That leaves both of us with two options:

1) Run a half marathon/marathon/ultra before you register.

2) Register for the Ascent using the TCR Qualifier option. This will also register you for the Garden 10 Mile and the Summer Roundup Half. You can then run both of those races as your qualifier. If you go this route you also have the option to 'transfer' your qualifier to any other qualifying event before 7/29. Good if you have a spring or early summer race on your calendar and are afraid that the event will fill up before then.

--john