Author Topic: Hydration Vest  (Read 3376 times)

cmrun78738

Hydration Vest
« on: June 21, 2015, 06:24:54 PM »
Hello,

I am a Newbie, Flatlander training for my 1st Ascent.  I normally carry a 20oz hand held for my marathons, stopping to refill every hour.  I was wondering if this bottle would be "enough" for the Ascent.  I was considering a vest for 2 reasons:

1). Plenty of water with me bt aide stations
2.  My hands would be free.

Thanks,

Maria in Texas

John Vomastic

Re: Hydration Vest
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 12:56:28 PM »
Carrying a water bottle is a good idea and most people do except for the elite runners.  The longest distance between aid stations is 2.5 miles between Barr Camp and A-Frame.  Based on your qual time, that would be about one hour for you.  You will be walking most of the course so carrying a water bottle is not a big deal.  A vest would be OK except it will take more time to fill at the aid stations.  A water bottle with a wide mouth cap would be easy to fill with a pitcher or a hose by a volunteer.  Think about nourishment.  Some aid stations may have some food, but it is best to plan for only water and gatorade along the course.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 08:39:54 PM by John Vomastic »

cmrun78738

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 05:19:03 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

I have a small belt that I  use to carry gels/nutrition in for marathons, along with my handheld bottle.  I'm so used to training and running events with my current set-up, I think it will be best to stick to what I know. 

Mitch Walma

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 10:00:03 PM »
Water bottles are also great for protecting your hands when you fall on the way down. It happens. Alot.  8)

lee.owens

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 02:52:11 PM »
My personal secret is to start with the hand held water bottle empty.  That way you do not have to carry it full the first 4-6 miles of the trail.  About the 3rd or 4th water stop, I fill up water bottle and go on.  From Barr camp to A-frame is when I drink the most water.  The previous water stops, I just drink out of the cups.