Author Topic: Ask the registrar (2015 edition)  (Read 16101 times)

John Vomastic

Re: Ask the registrar (2015 edition)
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 06:07:42 PM »
I'm leaning toward using the best time in the last two years. This way if you have a bad day it would not count against you. 

For Peak veterans why not let the runner choose the time he wishes from the last 3 years.  I prefer to start slow.  When I register, the link I provide will be my slowest time.

jemahon

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 08:23:41 PM »
As for which PPA/PPM time to use, I noticed the following on the Qualifications page:

"Note that if you are a Peak Veteran, you must register using your PPA/PPM results as your qualifier. (To make the registrar's life a bit easier, please use your most recent time.)"

• Too bad that this request conflicts with other inputs above.  But at least is just a request and not a mandate.
    I think that if someone does not use the most recent time, then they probably have a reason and maybe it should be used for their seeding.

As for me, it is a long race and who knows how starting in wave x vs. wave y will really affect an particular person's time.  Conditioning, aging, weather, and how I feel that day will probably have more to do with how I finish.

John Garner

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 08:23:45 AM »
John,

Runners always have the option of starting in a later wave (Last year we had a wave 1 guy start 30 minutes back in wave 2 so he could run with a friend). So if you are assigned to the 7:15 wave, you can hold back and start at 7:20; just go extra slow over the starting mat to make sure your chip is read otherwise you'll get dinged for that 5 minute gap. Overall, the goal of the new wave start system is to help alleviate the desire to go off like a jackrabbit; after all, the 4:10 runners will no longer have 2:40 folks to use as rabbits up Ruxton. :-)   

Jenn,
There are two parts to this process. The first is qualifications checking. The most recent year shows up at the top of the list, so it is the easiest for me to find without much though. The second is the seeding. For this second part I will most likely script it once I know that I have a cleaned up registration database that can find the veteran runners in the results database. For this 2nd part it is then possible to say "take the fastest of the last two times and do X"

Jasper

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 10:05:45 PM »
In the General Discussion area, under the 'Extra Doubler Fee' thread, (A drawback to the single-layer board of previous years) there has been some questions about  Doubler's Jacket or Doubler's Shirt?
The Registration Page still says Jacket, though discussion elsewhere has been clear it is a Shirt and that Jacket was simple mistake.
I know the 'Jacket' version grew legs and was even sent out by Colorado Runner. At first it strikes people as a great bonus, making this the year to Double above others.

Anyway, on the "Extra Doubler Fee" Thread, some there began to post about the Jacket, so I asked in that Thread if it was a Shirt or Jacket Then someone took my post to mean it was a Jacket.
Haha.
Could we trouble you for a Definitive answer posted to that question, both here and to that part of the Forum? And of course if it's a Shirt then it'd be wise to correct the Registration Page.
Thanks!
See You At The Top!

John Garner

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 10:44:23 AM »
This one of those "road to hell is paved with good intentions..." type of things.

In the original email I received, the Race Director indicated that the PPM Board decided that it should be a doubler's shirt. But in generating the content for the new site, my secret desire for a jacket moved my fingers to indicate a Jacket. 

The RD send me a correction email (the content was reviewed, but it was still my error.) That generated the update to the website and the mea culpa on the board indicating that it was not a jacket but a shirt.

Then the RD thought about it some more. He had a meeting with a number of other local runners to solicit their feedback on various topics. In the process of thinking about what the race offers he thought that a Doubler's Jacket would be nicer. So now it is a Jacket, and that is what is up on the website today.

Clear as mud?

You can thank me later. :-)

Stephen Peterson

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 10:59:14 AM »
This one of those "road to hell is paved with good intentions..." type of things.

In the original email I received, the Race Director indicated that the PPM Board decided that it should be a doubler's shirt. But in generating the content for the new site, my secret desire for a jacket moved my fingers to indicate a Jacket. 

The RD send me a correction email (the content was reviewed, but it was still my error.) That generated the update to the website and the mea culpa on the board indicating that it was not a jacket but a shirt.

Then the RD thought about it some more. He had a meeting with a number of other local runners to solicit their feedback on various topics. In the process of thinking about what the race offers he thought that a Doubler's Jacket would be nicer. So now it is a Jacket, and that is what is up on the website today.

Clear as mud?

You can thank me later. :-)

That is awesome John.  Thanks for the update.

Jasper

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 10:40:42 AM »
Yeah, all's well that ends well!
Thanks, John

FlyGirl

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 11:18:06 AM »
I hope you don't mean me with the taking your post to mean jacket?  It was on the registration page...and has been cleared up.

I posted about how long it seems to be taking to be confirmed this year, but it disappeared.  Ah, the joys of being staff and trying to sift through so many names, qual times, who is a Doubler, etc!

Ben Miller

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2015, 10:55:22 AM »
Is there any update on assigning of waves for the Marathon and how that will work? It would be great to have a couple of waves to cut down on the congestion and "WATCH THE F OUT's" above tree-line. :)