Author Topic: PPA/PPM (with quals) with TCR  (Read 5079 times)

John Vomastic

PPA/PPM (with quals) with TCR
« on: March 15, 2015, 11:46:52 AM »
I plan on running the PPA with the TCR this year.  I have a qualifying time from the PPA in 2014. On registration day, it would be convenient for me to register at 08:00 for the TCR series with the PPA, but scheduling conflicts make it difficult for me to register for only the PPA at 12:30.  If I register for the PPA with TCR but for some reason (injury, family emergency, etc.) I am unable to complete both the GoG10 and SRTR, I would not be allowed to participate in the PPA even though I qualify for the PPA.  Seems a bit unfair.  WHY would anyone ever use this method to register for the PPA or PPM ?

Adam_Christians

Re: PPA/PPM (with quals) with TCR
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 08:13:30 AM »
I was wondering this same thing John. Hopefully someone can answer this soon.

John Garner

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 10:10:37 AM »
Think of the TCR series option as a 2nd chance for local runners to get into the race. It was put in place many years ago when the race suddenly filled very quickly, taking many long time local runners by surprise.

Also, due to the requirement that you can't miss one of the races, the TCR w/ PPA option fills very slowly. Personally, I'd only register for the TCR series if the PPA was already full. In John Vomastic's case, if he was trying to get into the PPM and knew that he would not be at a computer until later in the afternoon then I'd use the TCR series option. For the PPA I'd roll the dice since that usually will not fill up for a week or two, and even if it does then you can fall back to the TCR option.

John Vomastic

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 11:07:31 AM »
Thanks John for the info.  Based on your information, there must be assigned quotas for each category.  Would you provide them.

John Garner

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 11:23:58 AM »
The TCR series are allotted 30 slots for the PPA, 30 for the PPM.

The TCR w/o quals for the PPA has 150 slots (this is a very popular option for first time runners).