Author Topic: Marathon Start?  (Read 2776 times)

Hypoxic Marmot

Marathon Start?
« on: March 09, 2015, 10:34:46 AM »
I gather that the Ascent is looking to do a wave start.  From what I get, there would be about 1800 people staggered over the 30 minute period.  I am guessing that this generally means about 200 people start a minute, but there may be some variance in the middle (considering the bell curve of finish times).

Is the marathon also going to be a staggered start?  That is not clear to me.  With only 800 starting, it might not be considered necessary?  Or there would be less staggered starts.

GZ

John Garner

Re: Marathon Start?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 12:15:34 PM »
We are looking at various start options and the exact setup is still being worked out. For the PPA/PPM, I would like to see waves of 100 runners each at 1 minute intervals. That would have everybody started by 7:20 for the PPA and 7:08 for the PPM. But the start line crew may have a better idea. Also, the first wave may be a bit larger than the others since the group is the most spread out in terms of abilities vs the others.

Either way, "wave 1" would be the top X number of qualified folks. The exact cutoff would depend on who signs up. I hope to seed all award/competitive folks and the top 50 male/female by qualification time into that wave. I want to avoid a case where the top 10 times are not the first ten to cross the line.

lee.owens

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 07:50:58 PM »
I like the wave start idea for PPA/PPM.  I think it also gives the fans various yell/cheer waves verse on huge pack of runners.  It also will string out the field the first few miles of the race.   

Mitch Walma

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 10:03:33 PM »
I love the wave start idea. Some folks will see times decrease while others will blow up early if they're not careful.

Mitch

Stephen Peterson

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 03:37:18 PM »
With today's technology in timing, a wave start is the way to go, especially for Pikes Peak.  Happy to see this...