Author Topic: Nutrition Advice  (Read 4192 times)

rosie01

Nutrition Advice
« on: July 26, 2018, 09:50:10 AM »
Hi Everyone - I am running the PPA for the first time this year.  My question is with regards to food/nutrients that folks carry during the Ascent.  I know about the Goo packs and related energy gels, not sure if anyone has other suggestions.  Just feel like I need to bring some food given the massive calorie burn.  And how about salt tablets?  Thank you in advance for any tips.
Rosie

Mark

Re: Nutrition Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 06:33:30 PM »
I travel light, but I always take some trail mix and peanut MM's with me (my training snacks on the mountain). There are snacks at several aid stations as well, Barr Camp is amazing! Not sure if that will change this year with the Cog being shutdown. Seems tho that I have still seen a train or two recently. Maybe a race official can chime in on that one. They usually have grapes and salty snacks near the top at A-frame and the Cirque stations too.

Straight table salt... Is my best friend, I sweat heavily and am usually drenched by the Incline aid station. I'll take a good teaspoon before I even get to the start line, then another there, and along the way... I usually alternate between water and Gatorade at each station. I don't know how many people cramp up near the top, I'm not a doctor but I believe it's due to a salt deficiency. I also know that I've had hyponatremia creaping up on me several times. That is not a good situation... FYI: A good easy way to carry salt is in an empty eye drop bottle or something similar.

This is what works for me, hope this helps.

Yoni Fridman

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 10:06:22 AM »
To add my own take, which is similar to Mark's...

I use snacks at many of the aid stations. Some aid stations have pretzels, skittles, grapes, bananas, oranges, PB&J roll ups. For nutrition/calories, I usually bring 2 or 3 gel packs, then supplement that with aid station snacks and Gatorade. It is crucial to try to keep up with calories as much as your stomach can handle, but it's impossible to keep up with all the calories you're burning.

For salt, I use a couple of salt tablets -- more expensive than straight table salt, but more convenient in my opinion. Hard to say for sure whether that helps prevent calf cramping above treeline (which many people experience), but it can't hurt.

One more suggestion, if you still have time for this. Do a training run that mimics race day as closely as possible. Bring whatever nutrition/salt/drinks you intend to take on race day, and see how it treats you. Some particular thing might make you totally nauseous to take while pushing hard, and you'll know to avoid it on race day.

Jasper

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 03:05:21 PM »
Hi Rosie, Best of luck on your 1st Ascent. This is one difficult race, for a lot of reasons, as you will see. Nutrition being one of them.
I post my reply mostly so you get some variety of answers.

This question was asked on the Message board not long before the race in 2014, I think, and when I replied the responses already ranged from 300cals in Gels to 2,600cals total- so whatever you're thinking for how long it will take you, and how much you might eat during that time, I bet you are correct.

In 2014 I said I took in 980 on-trail calories in the form of 460cals Liquid (which during the race would be in a 1 liter Race BackPack), 120cals early on, in the form of a pre-broken Bar (PowerBar at the time), and 400cals in Gels throughout. I also took in 4 Endurolyte Tabs that year, but I usually use Salt-Stick Tabs, and only used the much lesser-per-pill Endurolytes because my drink had ~1250mg of Sodium!
During this year's race, along with the 'water pack that has my liquid calories in it' I'll have a hand-held bottle to take on water at the 7 aid stations. I'll be wearing both a Cycling Jersey with Pockets, and Race-Ready shorts with Pockets. I'll have had about 1,000cals for Breakfast, and will take at least 5-6 Gels with me, and about 900cals in Liquid "Go Juice" in the Ratio 84% Carbs, 11% Protein, 5% Fat. And I'll have Salt Stick Tabs with me.
Best of Luck!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 03:07:28 PM by Jasper »

rosie01

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 11:37:33 AM »
Thx all - appreciate the advice.

Lilmc

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 06:37:54 PM »
Apple sauce. Pickle juice. Honey Bunchies. Those are my favs in addition to copious amount of grapes from the aid stations.

shiggins

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 09:11:57 PM »
Chew your grapes! Both to avoid choking and to avoid seeing whole grapes in your post effort stomach content reveal

shriekresult

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2022, 08:07:13 PM »
By the time we reach the aid station at the Incline, I'm usually saturated in perspiration. A heaping teaspoon before I leave for the starting line, another before the start, and more as needed. in case you're still interested, if you have a moment. Get in as close as you can to the actual race conditions on your splatoon 3