Author Topic: First Time Ascent  (Read 3246 times)

wcresswell

First Time Ascent
« on: June 20, 2018, 10:07:50 PM »
Hi. I'm running the ascent this year for the first time.  I'm a pretty bad runner but I like to get out and climb stuff sometimes.  Anyway I don't have a time goal and I'm not too worried about simply making the 6:30 cutoff, but I am wondering how I can train for that much uphill.  The pitch of it seems incredible too since even other uphill races I look at don't seem to gain nearly the same rate of feet/mile.

Mark

Re: First Time Ascent
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 07:45:48 PM »
First off, you'll want to be in great aerobic shape! If you live close to Barr trail, try to train on it every weekend! If you can't do that hit the big hills where you live and/or get on a treadmill and set it to 15% and go, go, go until you can't stand it any more...
I think John V posted about an Ascent treadmill simulation on this site recently. Check that out too.
Good Luck! might see you on race day if my sprained ankle lets me:( 

Mark

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 06:46:49 PM »
Another good gauge and race day prep practice would be to do the Barr Trail Mountain Race, it's about a month before the Ascent/Marathon. It's up and down to Barr Camp from/to the Cog station in Manitou. It will also give you an idea of the bottom half aid station help you'll get on course during the Ascent. 

wcresswell

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 08:20:44 AM »
I can't train on the Barr Trail, but I am over 9000' so at least there is that.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 05:04:49 PM by wcresswell »

Kip Russell

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 12:17:02 PM »
Also... A lot of incline is great.  A lot of incline and a lot of step-ups is even better.  Do a lot of 'em.  Every time you hike/run, step up the rocks you normally go around.  Go up the stairs two at a time.  Buy a StairMaster on easy 12 months financing.  Just do 'em ;-)