Author Topic: Garden of the Gods Qualifying Formula  (Read 3690 times)

pmcgrath

Garden of the Gods Qualifying Formula
« on: June 13, 2017, 10:59:47 AM »
With the course change, will there be any adjustments to the Garden of the Gods qualifying formula?  The elevation (at least according to my GPS for what that is worth) was very close, so I don't think the course was any harder or easier. 

John Garner

Re: Garden of the Gods Qualifying Formula
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 07:22:05 AM »
There will be no changes to the qualification time due to the course change.

As you noted, the course was more or less the same as the old one in terms of elevation gain. Some folks thought it would be harder since we started on an uphill vs the downhill along El Paso, but I think that the last mile and a half being all downhill more than made up for that. :-)

Kip Russell

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 02:05:26 PM »
FWIW, that last mile and a half was... lovely.

pmcgrath

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 04:04:07 PM »
Thanks for the info, John.  I agree that last mile and a half made up for the uphill start, if you survived the hill right before it.

Bart Terry

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 10:07:03 AM »
The bear in the middle of the course was great also

John Garner

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 08:21:13 AM »
Thanks for the info, John.  I agree that last mile and a half made up for the uphill start, if you survived the hill right before it.

Too bad we can't say the same thing about the Pikes Peak Marathon. The hill is the easy part. :-)

Mark

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 04:24:50 PM »

Too bad we can't say the same thing about the Pikes Peak Marathon. The hill is the easy part. :-)

Yep, the PPM: 1 race, 2 completely different methods of inducing enduring pain upon ones self...