Author Topic: Garden of the Gods  (Read 4007 times)

bill robinette

Garden of the Gods
« on: April 20, 2017, 01:16:51 PM »
Being from Kentucky I was thinking about running the Garden of the Gods to see how I adjust to the altitude.  Is it worth it since the altitude at the end of the PPA is so much greater than Garden of the Gods.  I could get in very early on Friday and actually go partly up the Barr Trail when I get there. 

The other option would be to just do the entire Barr Trail and skip the Garden of the Gods.

Thoughts?

Mark

Re: Garden of the Gods
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 08:28:43 PM »
Do Barr Trail if you can only do one.

Tips:

1) Get going early, like 7:00am! You want to be done very early in the afternoon, you don't want to be caught in a thunderstorm above A-Frame...
2) Pack plenty of water/snacks/gloves/hat/jacket. There is water available out of No Name Creek and the stream at Barr Camp but you'll probably want to filter it. (I take may own water on training runs so it makes race day even that more special by not having to lug all that extra weight up)
3) Plan your way down.
   - You can get tix for a ride down on the Cog but if you miss your scheduled time you're SOL, see next points...
   - Hitch hike, usually not too hard to get a ride back down to Manitou from the Peak.
   - Have somebody pick you up at the top.
   - Walk/run down the trail (points 1 and 2 above apply), but your quads and flexors will probably feel like crap for the following week or two.

There is also a pretty good possibility of significant snow on the trail above A-Frame mid June, be prepared.

Here is a link to a camera at the top, check out the piles of snow either side...
http://www.cograilway.com/Summit/summitcam.jpg
Snowed today and will probably snow up there everyday this week!!!

2 years ago there was ~6 feet of snow on a small section of the trail near the top 2 weeks from race day. Thankfully, volunteers ice picked and shoveled it away.   

Good Luck!

bill robinette

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 05:46:36 AM »
Thanks.  Very helpful

???

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 10:54:41 PM »
놀다 바카라 지금 온라인으로 라이브하고 놀라운 보너스를 받으세요

Bennett Kirlin

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 08:18:47 PM »