Author Topic: Test Run  (Read 3600 times)

tnutz24

Test Run
« on: October 21, 2016, 11:00:56 AM »
I'm going to attempt the PPM in 2017, but I'm a flatlander from Iowa so I'm considering heading out for a weekend in early June to hike Barr Trail just so I can get an idea of the terrain and altitude I'll be experiencing a couple months later.  I'm hoping to have some friends join me, so I'm probably not going to be running up when I head out, though maybe just a small portion.  My questions are:

- Is there any way to start the trail at Barr Camp or anywhere else, or just the bottom or top?
- If I hike to the top of Barr Trail can I take the Cog Rail down, or do I need to have someone pick me up?

I'm pretty sure I have more questions, but I can't think of any now that I'm typing them out.  Appreciate any help you all can provide.

Vomastic

Re: Test Run
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 11:41:47 AM »
You can ride the train to Mountain View (10,000 ft) which is a stop 1.5 miles from Barr Camp (10,200 ft).  You will pay full round-trip price for the ticket ($38.50).  You can then hike to the top from Barr Camp.

You can purchase a one-way trip from the top back down to Manitou Springs.  You will pay the full round-trip price ($38.50).  You must arrive at the top BEFORE your train leaves or you will have to find another way down.

If you hike to the top, you can purchase a one-way trip back down for $22.00 IF there is space available on the train.  Contact the train conductor when the train arrives to determine availability.

If you hike to the top you can hitchhike back to Manitou Springs.  Many people do this.  Contact the visitors in the parking lot or the summit house.  I generally offer them $20.

The Cog Railroad has a 4-hour limit on parking in the Cog RR lot so it is best to park near the start line on Manitou Avenue or Memorial Park.

There will probably be snow on parts of the Barr Trail near the top in early June.

Since you are planning to do the PPM, you could hike to the top and walk back down.  There will be 14 hours of sun light.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 11:56:00 AM by Vomastic »

Mark

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 09:48:23 PM »
Nutz, FWIW, you may want to get out here before the registration date and drive to the top and  hang out up there for an hour or so to see how you feel before plunking down the registration fee. I've seen flatland 3:05 Boston Qualifiers hate life during and after the Marathon. You may want to bite off the Ascent first, it hurts too...

tnutz24

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 01:39:30 PM »
I've been up there before, but it's been a while.  I didn't really have any issues at the time.  I'm definitely not fast by any means and I'm not going to be breaking any records, I just want to finish it. 

I'm in decent shape now after completing three marathons the last year, and I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to want to keep it up, so it may be now or never to do this.  I've read about everything I can about it, so I understand the ridiculous task it's going to be.  After my next marathon in January, I'm basically going to be doing stairs, hills and inclined treadmills until August in order to prepare.

It's kind of like a Forrest Gump thing to me.  "I ran this far, might as well keep running."  I ran up, might as well run back down.