Author Topic: Wastefulness of Paper Cups  (Read 4214 times)

BaristaLady

Wastefulness of Paper Cups
« on: October 04, 2016, 09:03:34 AM »
Dear PPM, it's time to think about the wastefulness of thousands of paper cups!  Check out how Xterra is doing it:

Cup-Free Racing! Surveys shows most runners dislike paper cups at race aid stations. That is why Xterra Trail Run Colorado Series have gone Cup-Free. That means less litter, trash, and waste.

Cup-Free Racing is Easy!

Bring your favorite personal hydration device. Xterra handheld bottle, hydration belt/flask, or any other refillable container
    Fill it at every aid station
    Drink, it's that easy...

http://www.xterracolorado.com/XTERRA_Marathon.php

Yoni Fridman

Re: Wastefulness of Paper Cups
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 08:41:11 AM »
I know resource wastefulness can be a touchy subject, but I'd like to offer a different perspective. In general I try to be very resource conscious, but during the PPA/PPM I greatly appreciate having paper cups. I obviously carry my own hydration equipment during long training runs, but one day a year, on race day, I really don't want to carry my own hydration. Maybe this sounds petty or selfish, but I want to do my absolute best on race day, and carrying extra weight affects that for me.

The PPM folks already encourage racers to carry their own hydration devices. They say it in writing every year; they include it in emails to all racers. And I believe the majority of racers prefer to carry their own hydration. But the organizers still give racers the choice, and to me, that's the right way to do it.

I do appreciate your comments and am not arguing your point, and I know many feel the same as you, just sharing my preferences.

jemahon

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 05:39:41 PM »
The longer it takes to the summit, the more fluid one needs.  I have been averaging about 5 hours for the past 8 years.  I like to be able to sip on my Camelback when I feel like it.  But the cups allow me to carry less in the Camelback.  The cups are handy on a hot day for pouring on my head, in my hat, or inside my shirt.  Also, I like to have both water and gaterade.  If available, I drink a partial cup of each at each aid station.  I believe the cups allow me to spend less time at aid stations than getting container(s) filled.

Would it take fewer or more volunteers to fill everyone's container rather than fill and hand out cups ... plus pick up cups that miss the garbage bags and carry out cup trash?  There would still be some trash to pick up and carry out due to gels, bars, etc.

Mark

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 09:33:12 PM »
OK, I'm weird. But I carry my own bottle (starting empty of course) on race day and get it partially filled at some stations, I also use just the cups at others. My decision on which one to use at each station depends on 1) the weather, 2) how I'm feeling, 3) distance/time to next station. Example: in 2015 I used my bottle about 75% of the time because it was so damn hot and a I needed more fluids. In 2016 I used cups about 75% of the time because it was nice and cool.