Author Topic: Thank You & Starting Wave Question for '17  (Read 2243 times)

brad7891

Thank You & Starting Wave Question for '17
« on: September 19, 2016, 05:00:17 AM »
Thank you for a great race - this year was my first time, and everything was top notch. Even my wife, who was patiently waiting for me to finish, said she enjoyed herself.

I'm hoping to understand what wave provides the least amount of congestion beyond A-frame, and a corresponding qualification time I should shoot for? I was in wave 15 this year, and felt I could have shaved some time above the tree line had I started earlier. Don't get me wrong, I'm a flat-lander from Michigan and was certainly not going to break any records - but now that I'm more familiar, I'd like to focus much more on time next year.

Thanks again for a great experience, can't wait till next year!

John Garner

Re: Thank You & Starting Wave Question for '17
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 08:05:14 AM »
The quick answer to your question is this: The ability to run a sub 3:30 ascent time and starting in the half first dozen waves or so. Absent that, you could start in wave 1 and you would still hit congestion above A-Frame.

For registration purposes, once you have a peak time, that will be the time I will use for seeding purposes. A faster half or full marathon will not help you unless you can show that you have improved so much that you can be competitive for a top 20 slot (sub 2:40 or faster for men). The only other option is that you can run next year's Garden of the Gods 10M and I will use that result if it produces a faster estimated time.

There are two keys to going faster above A-Frame is training above A-Frame.  The first is to do extensive training above A-Frame. The 2nd is to not get to NoName too quickly and wear yourself out.

Each year, I see hundreds of folks post NoName times that would put them on pace for a 3:30, 4, or even 5 hour summit time, only to watch them slow way down above Barr Camp and stumble past the finish line about 30-60 minutes slower than their time to NoName would have indicated.

Yoni Fridman

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 10:10:05 AM »
I'll kind of echo what John said. Not sure what kind of time you had on your Pikes Peak Ascent, and what you used to qualify for it, but odds are that now that you've run an Ascent (if your time was decent), it'll qualify you for a higher wave.

However, the waves really make a difference early on, but not as much later. By the time you're above A-Frame, you've kind of settled in to your spot regardless of starting wave. It'll only make a 20 minute difference if you start in the first or last wave, but by the time you're above A-Frame, how well you've trained and how fast you're running can make a couple hours of difference.

So to answer "what wave provides the least amount of congestion beyond A-frame," I'd say it really doesn't matter.

brad7891

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 02:05:12 PM »
John/Yoni - Thanks, that's very helpful.