Author Topic: TRAINING SCHEDULE  (Read 6578 times)

jmurphy

TRAINING SCHEDULE
« on: July 20, 2016, 09:50:49 AM »
Hi Runners

I have never run the Ascent nor the Marathon. I have seen a lot of training tips but I nothing specific as to an actual training schedule.  For instance, is my training schedule for a marathon if I am doing to Ascent ?  Approximately how many weeks before do I start ?  Are the long runs done totally on the treadmill at incline ?  If I was running the marathon, what would I be training for - a marathon or ultra marathon ?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated

JM

Mitch Walma

Re: TRAINING SCHEDULE
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 04:41:47 PM »
It's a marathon that has the energy expenditure of a 50k so plan for that. I never use a schedule so can't help you there!

Mark

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 05:09:02 PM »
I'm a mediocre runner but I train on as many hills as possible during the week and hit Barr Trail every weekend. In the spring I start with lower Barr Trail  from Manitou and with about 6 to 8 week before the race I drive to the summit for altitude training, ie 3-2-1's.
Good luck

John Garner

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 03:38:51 PM »
Here goes:

For instance, is my training schedule for a marathon if I am doing to Ascent ?
See below.

Approximately how many weeks before do I start ?
About 40

Are the long runs done totally on the treadmill at incline ?
If you don't have access to a long hill at a 11-13% grade that starts at 6,000ft and goes up about 8,000ft, yes

If I was running the marathon, what would I be training for - a marathon or ultra marathon ?
Ultra.

Unless you won the genetic lottery, find a treadmill, set it to 15%, and start _walking_ for long periods of time. Bring an iPad or Laptop and watch netflix or listen to a book on tape.

If you live at a low elevation, do not let the fact that you can jog along on the treadmill at 15% fool you. You will be walking for most of this race. I can run at 5mph @ 15% for hours when I'm on trips to lower elevations. Where I live at 6,000ft, I would be dead within about 15 minutes at that pace. Above 10,000ft, my "run" is much slower than my walk. Above 12,000ft, I can't run for more than about 50ft.